Ground breaking on new Multidisciplinary Research Building November 2016 at UC Riverside.
UC Riverside Campus
In a past blog we noted that University of California, Riverside won approval to design and build a new Multidisciplinary Research Building. This past fall (November 2016) University of California, Riverside held the ground breaking ceremony for the new 5 story, 125,000 sq ft building. It is projected to be completed by the fall of 2018, at a cost of $150 Million and will support PI's and their teams in life sciences, chemistry, medicine, engineering. The facility will be located on 2.1 acres north of the Materials Science and Engineering Building off North Campus Drive.
Multidisciplinary Research Building 1 will be able to support up to 56 faculty investigators and their teams working at the intersection of life sciences, chemical sciences, medicine, and engineering.
More Riverside funding and research stats (for exact numbers follow link below);
- Most recent Life Science R & D Expenditures: 111th Ranked roughly $75Million
- Genetics researchers at University of California, Riverside received $7 million developing improved varieties of cowpea. This includes a $5 million grant that will create the new Feed the Future Innovation Lab. and $2 million to extend a ten-year project focused on cowpea development.
- $1.95 million to study molecular regulatory mechanisms of plant immunity and pathogen virulence.
- $1.3 million grant from USDA to develop processes to create biofuels and chemicals from waste plant materials.
- 2 University of California, Riverside professors got CAREER awards from the NSF ($1 million in research funding over the next five years).
- $1 million to study biomass burning.
- $866,902 NSF grant was awarded to University of California, Riverside neuroscientists to further their research on how the brain’s auditory cortex localizes sounds.
Get the more details and additional University of California, Riverside stats here;
Upcoming Riverside Event
If you are a Riverside area researcher, or life science professional you are invited to come to the upcoming:
University of California, Riverside BioResearch Product FaireTM Event
Thursday, February 2, 2017
Registration is free for life science professionals. Click the button below to register:
If you are a research lab supply, service or equipment company and would like to educate University of California, Riverside researchers about products they can use to save time or improve accuracy in the discovery process, there are still a few exhibit spaces available at this event.
Click the button below to find out more.