Coming to the world of science sales by way of the laboratory, new laboratory sales representatives may dismiss the value of advertising, marketing, sponsorships and related services in the process of selling lab equipment and services. In some cases when a product and its brand are ingrained in the customer's memory and familiar from repeated, loyal use it may sell itself. However, in most instances, effective branding is needed to ensure loyalty and familiarity with a company's products and services.
Why should lab suppliers build their brands?
- Strong brands benefit from ongoing credibility and trust associated with high quality. This is especially important in the world of science experimentation where any variable that can be eliminated saves time in answering the researcher’s questions.
- Brand recognition can drive laboratory product sales as a researcher becomes comfortable with your company and products.
- A strong brand allows you to stand out from competitors with sound-alike and look-alike lab products and services.
- In general, it is easier to command higher prices for known brands with recognized high quality.
- New products from familiar brands generate interest more quickly from the active research community than similar products from unknown companies.