Spotlight on Science Meetings, Conferences and Events brings you information on the following event: Pre-College Leadership Institute
The New York Academy of Sciences Pre-College Leadership Institute is a rigorous 5-day program for high school students with a passion for science. Over the course of this program, students will apply the basic principles of scientific research and collaboration to develop a unique project addressing a real-world challenge within their own community. They will also develop valuable leadership, communication, critical thinking and project planning skills—all under the guidance of real-life scientists. Students will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the program, and will be equipped with the tools and know-how to implement the project in their community.
During the Leadership Institute, students will participate in a range of hands-on sessions to expand their skills in multiple areas of scientific research, including:
• Resume development for college applications to emphasize leadership for out-of-class projects
• Creating a research agenda, including literature and peer review
• Mentorship under the direction of young scientists
• Leadership in STEM with real world examples
• Communication, public speaking, and critical thinking skills for academic and career success
• Experiments at off-site scientific laboratories such as the Cold Spring Harbor Lab
• Scientific collaboration & problem-solving skills
• Building a Scientific Network & project planning
Parents and/or guardians may register the student for the program. Upon confirmation of payment, the parent and/or guardian will receive an email from the Academy, which will go over next steps.
The New York Academy of Sciences
New York City, NY
Friday, July 21, 2017 to Tuesday, July 25, 2017